GUT HEALTH: THE BODY’S SECOND BRAIN AND FIRST LINE OF IMMUNE DEFENSE.
Join Dr. Somesh Kaushik for this monthly series discussing topics in Ayurvedic medicine.
Our central nervous system (originating in our brain) is connected to our enteric nervous system (in our gut) via the vagus nerve – the longest nerve in our body – which extends through our necks into our abdomen. This pathway allows for constant communication between the nearly 100 billion neurons in each system and accounts for the transmission of messages that influence our physical, mental, and emotional health.
Come and discover:
- Why the gut is referred to as our second brain and its role in the immune system
- Symptoms of an unhealthy gut and the best ways to keep it healthy
- How to determine if you need prebiotics or probiotics
- Why fat in the diet is important and which fats are essential
- Natural supplements or herbs that can aid in keeping the gut healthy
- The role stress plays in gut health and immune health