Articles, Information, & Databases
Click on the links below to access news and newspapers (login with your library card barcode and PIN):
Digital New York Times & Journal News
Digital microfilm of the Putnam/Westchester area of The Journal News from 2010 to the current year, and The New York Times from 2008 to the current year.
Historical materials from New York State’s Hudson River Valley including the following newspapers:
- Newburgh Telegraph (1831-1835)
- Rockland County Journal (1850-1879)
- Rockland County Messenger (1848;1851-1855;1857)
- Rockland County Times (1902-1904)
- The Kingston Daily Freeman (1895;1903-1912)
- Vassar Miscellany News (1914-2000)
Job & Career Help
AtoZdatabases Note: MPL card is needed when accessing outside the library.
A premier job search, reference, and mailing list database.
Includes 2.3 million job listings, 30 million business profiles, 1.1 million healthcare professionals, and much more.
For sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends & relatives, and much more.
Interview & Job Search Help: Practice interviewing with live one-on-one help; online job search sites. Also includes resume templates to help you write your resume; tips to answer tough interview questions and links to job search sites.
The Adult Learning Center features test preparation (including High School Equivalency and U.S. citizenship preparation), writing assistance, and study tools for math, reading and writing. One-on-one academic coaching.
Homework Resources - databases, encyclopedias, dictionaries
Grolier/Scholastic resources for high school including
- Daily news
- Pro/con debates
- Today in history
- Interactive atlas
- World newspapers
- Lands and Peoples Encyclopedia with articles on countries, cultures and current events. It also includes an atlas and almanacs.
- Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia with articles, news, timelines, quizzes and games, and research starters. It also includes an atlas and dictionary. Articles can be grouped by Lexile level.
- The New Book of Popular Science with articles in the areas of science, technology and medicine. Also includes photos, maps and technical illustrations.
- Encyclopedia Americana: Articles include links to further readings, a bibliography, selected full text articles, web page links, and links to related articles. Includes maps, flags, tables and illustrations.
- Roget’s II: The New Thesaurus
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, American Heritage English to Spanish Dictionary & American Heritage Spanish to English Dictionary
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Login to Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Covers today’s hottest social issues, from Offshore Drilling to Climate Change, Health Care to Immigration. Helps students research, analyze and organize a broad variety of data for conducting research, completing writing assignments, preparing for debates, creating presentations and more.
- Video Tutorial: Getting started with Opposing Viewpoints in Context
Diversity Studies Collection
- Login to the Diversity Studies Collection
- For social science, history and liberal arts coursework, this collection of more than 150 journals explores cultural differences, contributions and influences in our global community.
World Book is a suite of online research tools that includes encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio, and video, complemented by current periodicals and related Web sites.
EBSCOs Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia provides over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a wide variety of subject areas.
Kids InfoBits contains over 100 age-appropriate magazines for grades K-5. Also includes Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary, maps, flags, seals, charts and graphs.
Video Tutorial: Getting started with Kids InfoBits.
- Top stories
- Clickable maps
- Amazing Animals of the World Encyclopedia with facts and photos for over 1,200 animals.
- America the Beautiful Encyclopedia with articles on US cities, states and Presidents.
- American Heritage Children’s Dictionary
- American Heritage Children’s Thesaurus
Contains over 140 magazines and books for elementary students. Also includes the American Heritage Dictionary.
Video Tutorial: Getting started with eLibrary elementary.
- Login to Health Reference Center
- Use this database to find articles on: Fitness, Pregnancy, Medicine, Nutrition, Diseases, Public Health, Occupational Health and Safety, Alcohol and Drug abuse, HMOs, Prescription Drugs, etc…
- Login to Psychology Collection
- Explore what makes people tick from childhood to death. This collection of 200 subject-appropriate full-text periodicals gives individuals a basic understanding of the study of the mind, emotions and how the human mind develops — and diminishes — over time.
- Login to the Nursing and Allied Health Collection
- All aspects of the Nursing profession — from direct patient care to health care administration — are covered in this collection. Including nearly 400 titles of use to both professionals already working in the field as well as students pursuing a nursing-focused curriculum.
Note: MPL card is needed when accessing outside the library.
- A premier job search, reference, and mailing list database.
- Includes 2.3 million job listings, 30 million business profiles, 1.1 million healthcare professionals, and much more.
- For sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends & relatives, and much more.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center
Access while in MPL Access outside MPL
- Stock and mutual fund information from Morningstar.com.
- Current and historical quotes for over 90,000 investments, and in-depth analysis for nearly 7,000 mutual funds and stocks.
- Company and industry information and financial education tutorials.
- Login to Business Insights Collection
- Contains over 3,900 magazines and journals, nearly 25,000 industry reports, nearly 11,000 company histories and nearly 500,000 company profiles. Easy access to in-depth information on U.S. and international businesses, industries and products. You can:
- Easily research companies, industries and business topics in the context of timely news and reports (See Company Finder).
- Instantly analyze and compare financial and statistical data with interactive charting tools (See Interactive Comparison Charts).
- Utilize data from Gale staple publications, including International Directory of Company Histories, Market Share Reporter, Business Rankings Annual, Encyclopedia of American Industries and many others.
- Access company profiles and industry rankings, as well as brand and product information (See Industries).
- Access SWOT reports, financial analysis tools, business associations, investment reports and market research reports.
- Video Tutorials: Getting started with Business Insights: Essentials
- Login to the Small Business Collection
- Perfect for entrepreneurs and business schools, this compilation provides insights, tips, strategies and success stories.
- Login to the Communication and Mass Media Collection
- From marketing professionals to students studying for advanced degrees in linguistic theory, this collection provides current and accurate information from more than 100 journals focused on all aspects of the communications field. Key subjects covered include: advertising and public relations, literature and writing, linguistics, and many more.
- Login to the Computer Database
- Use this database to find computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
Westlaw Next is an online legal research service. It provides quick, easy access to West’s vast collection of statutes, case law materials, public records, and other legal resources, along with current news articles and business information.
History & Genealogy
The 2000’s in America
This reference work covers the impact of the first decade of the twenty-first century, including the most significant people, institutions, events, and developments spanning both the United States and Canada. It contains more than 400 alphabetically arranged essays that cover the full breadth of North American history and culture throughout the decade.
The Sixties in America
The Sixties in America compiles the history of this significant decade in the United States and Canada, searchable by subject or keyword.
- Login to U.S. History Collection
- Coverage of both the current thinking and events in US History, as well as scholarly work being established in the field. Useful both to the novice historian as well as to the advanced academic researcher.
- Login to World History Collection
- Coverage of both the current thinking and events in World History, as well as scholarly work being established in the field. Useful both to the novice historian as well as to the advanced academic researcher.
Historical New York Times from ProQuest. This historical newspaper provides genealogists, researchers and scholars with online, easily-searchable first-hand accounts and unparalleled coverage of the politics, society and events of the time. Coverage: 1851 – 2011
- Visit Hudson River Valley Heritage
- Historical materials from New York State’s Hudson River Valley including the following newspapers:
- Newburgh Telegraph (1831 – 1835)
- Rockland County Journal (1850 – 1879)
- Rockland County Messenger (1848;1851 – 1855;1857)
- Rockland County Times (1902 – 1904)
- The Kingston Daily Freeman (1895;1903 – 1912)
- Vassar Miscellany News (1914 – 2000)
In library use only.
A user-friendly tool for all sorts of genealogical searches.
Note: MPL card is needed
Family records and local histories, including U.S. Federal census data, family, banking, and military records, genealogies, local histories, and more. Primary source materials new content added weekly.
- Ancestor Roots Information Database
- Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
- FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service
- Find a Genealogist- Board for Certification (BCG)
- Genealogy: Ancestry Home Town
- National Archives Databases
- National Archives Page for Genealogists/Family Historians
- New York Public Library – Link to Genealogy Databases (Resources preceded by a globe icon are available to all)
- Shoah Victims’ Names-Central Database
- Social Security Death Index
- U.S. GenWeb
- Veterans’ Service Records
- Where to Write for Vital Records
Hudson Valley Resources
- Putnam County Historical Society
- Dutchess County Genealogical Society
- Dutchess County Historical Society
- GenWeb Putnam County
- GenWeb Dutchess County
- GenWeb Greene & Ulster Counties
- GenWeb Putnam County
- Greene County Historical Society and Vedder Research Library
- Haviland Heidgerd Historical Collection at The Elting Library, New Paltz
- Putnam County Historical Society & Foundry School Museum
- Ulster County Genealogical Society
New York State Resources
- Cemetery Directory NYGenweb
- Genealogy Records & Resources NY Department of Health
- New York State Censuses from NYSL (Index)
- New York State Library Genealogy Collection
Historical Newspapers and Microfilm Collections
Learn a New Skill
Lessons are available in over 45 foreign languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Irish and more) and 15 English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. Your library card gives you access to Mango Basic & Mango Complete:
- Basic teaches simple, practical skills for common, polite conversation situations in only a few short hours.
- Complete 2.0 teaches in-depth and comprehensive language and grammar skills.
- Complete 1.0 courses are aimed at students who want to move beyond basic language skills.
You can register for as many courses as you would like. After registering, you will receive access to a student portal, where you can track your progress through each course you sign up for.
*Patron name & address is not required to access classes (patrons may use the library name and address instead of their own). However, a valid email address is required (this is how course material is delivered). Patrons need not supply names or addresses – instead they may use Mahopac Library’s name and address.
Fix Your Car
Includes exclusive diagnostics designed by instructors, step-by-step repair procedures, photographs, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) maintenance schedules, wiring diagrams, recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) and more:
- Parts finder: Direct integration with eBay Motors helps users locate hard-to-find parts
- Models: Repair, maintenance and specification tables provide critical data on thousands of domestic and imported models from 1940 onward. No other source contains more years, makes and models
- Simplicity: Detailed, step-by-step instructions reduce the need to use multiple sources of repair information designed for the “do-it-yourselfer” (DIYer)
- In-depth information: Contains diagnostic trouble codes, descriptions, probable causes, step-by-step routines, specifications, and troubleshooting guide to ensure that even advanced DIYers have all the information they need to complete the repair
- Multimedia Content: Exclusive videos and animated graphics help to explain system operations providing added clarity and comprehension
- Diagrams: Vacuum and wiring diagrams help explain complex system operation during troubleshooting
- Updating: Unlike printed books, the information on ChiltonLibrary.com is updated on a monthly basis, ensuring the most current and up-to-date information available